Buffalo Chicken Mac & Cheese

This was really good, but I would almost like it better without the chicken.  That's just me and my issues with meat though, I thought it gave it a weird texture.  Everyone else loved it though!  I got this recipe off Pinterest, and made it after my friend Debbie gave it great reviews when she made it.  Since I am trying to lose weight and get healthier I am logging all my food & exercise into MyFitnessPal online.  Yes, this means I had to put this recipe into the recipe builder to figure out the nutritional info.  Let me just say it's a good thing I did it this morning and not last night because I would  not have enjoyed it nearly as much!  I am not going to ruin it for any of you by posting it, but if you want the info I can get it to you. 

Buffalo Chicken Mac & Cheese

Kosher salt
1 pound elbow macaroni
5 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided
3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup Frank's Buffalo Wing Sauce, divided
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
2 tsp dry mustard
2-1/2 cups half-and-half
3 cups (24 oz) extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
2/3 cup sour cream
1/2 cup crumbled bleu cheese or gorgonzola

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 7 minutes. Drain.

Meanwhile, melt 3 Tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the chicken and garlic and cook 2 minutes, then add 1/2 cup hot sauce and simmer until slightly thickened, about 1 more minute.

Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour and mustard with a wooden spoon until smooth. Whisk in the half-and-half, then add the remaining 1/4 cup hot sauce and stir until thick, about 2 minutes. Whisk in the cheese, then whisk in the sour cream until smooth.

Mix together chicken, pasta and cheese sauce. Pour into lightly greased 9x13 pan. Sprinkle bleu cheese or Gorgonzola over the macaroni. Bake until bubbly, 30 to 40 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before serving. Drizzle with some wing sauce for color.



Comments