Healthy Cheese-Like Sauce
- 2 3/4 cups water - divided
- 1/3 cup raw cashews
- 1/3 cup sliced raw carrots (3/8 cup shredded carrots)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons granulated onion
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 tablespoon ground tumeric
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1/4 cup olive oil or coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons tapioca starch or corn starch
- Place 1 cup water and next 9 ingredients (cashews through tahini) in blender and blend until very, very smooth. (A high-powered blender works best for this.)
- Add oil and blend well.
- Add tapioca starch or corn starch. Blend until well mixed.
- Pour into medium/large sauce pan. Rinse blender with remaining 1 3/4 cups water and add to sauce pan.
- Bring to boil over medium/high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick and bubbly.
- Remove from heat.
- Serve warm or chilled.
The original recipe for this can be found here http://jenniferskitchen.com/2014/04/healthy-cheese-sauce.html . I made a few changes to suit my tastes. I added the nutritional yeast for a more cheesy flavor, cut back on the salt (because the nutritional yeast is salty) and added the tumeric for color. I am going to try this the next time without the oil, I am not sure it needs it.