I can't take credit for this recipe, my good friend Joi passed it along to me a while ago. It's a favorite in our house!!
6 cups of chicken stock
2 cups of milk
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground pepper
1 table spoon red crushed peppers
1 package mild or hot sausage
1 small onion diced
1 clove of garlic
1 teaspoon basil
2 tablespoons oregano
4 medium potatoes diced
1 cup of mashed potatoes (use only if you want a thicker soup)
1/2 cup of carrot shredded finely
1 cup of heavy cream
3 cups of fresh kale
Bring stock, milk, crushed peppers, salt and pepper to a boil. Add potatoes and carrots, cook 15-18 minutes.
In a skillet fry up sausage, onion and garlic
After the potatoes/carrots cook add sausage (including grease)
basil, oregano, and let cook about 10 minutes. Then add mashed potatoes (if desired) and fresh kale. Stir occasionally, until kale turns a vibrant green color. Finally add a cup of heavy cream and only cook about an additional 5 minutes. Then serve...we like to grate Parmesan as a garnish. So good!!
Saturday, September 29, 2012
1/4 of a 16-oz (450-g) loaf French bread
2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
3 tbsp (45 mL) Garlic & Herb Rub, divided
1 1/2 cups (375 mL) unsalted chicken stock
2 cups (500 mL) marinara sauce
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with garlic and onion (about 1 3/4 cups/425 mL), undrained
2 1/2 cups (625 mL) diced cooked chicken breasts
3 garlic cloves
1 oz (30 g) fresh Parmesan cheese
3/4 cup (175 mL) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1. Cut bread into 3/4-in. (2-cm) cubes
using Color Coated Bread Knife. (You
should have about 2 cups/500 mL.)
2. Toss bread cubes, oil and 1 tbsp (15 mL)
of the rub in Deep Covered Baker.
3. Microwave bread cubes, uncovered,
on HIGH 3–4 minutes or until they
begin to brown, stirring every minute.
Spread croutons over a piece of
Parchment Paper to cool.
4. Stir stock, remaining 2 tbsp (30 mL)
rub, marinara sauce, tomatoes,
chicken and garlic pressed with Garlic
Press into baker.
5. Microwave, covered, on HIGH
11–13 minutes or until soup is hot.
6. Grate Parmesan using Microplane(R)
Adjustable Fine Grater.
7. Carefully remove baker from
microwave and stir in Parmesan.
8. Top soup with half of the mozzarella
and sprinkle with half of the croutons.
Top with remaining mozzarella.
9. Let stand, covered, 2–3 minutes or
until cheese is melted. Serve soup
with remaining croutons.
Yield: 6 servings
Cook's Tip: Garlic Oil can be
substituted for the olive oil, if desired.
We chose unsalted stock in this recipe
because it's a fast and easy way to give
the soup concentrated chicken flavor
without adding too much salt.
Croutons can be stored at room
temperature in an airtight container or
resealable plastic bag for 3 to 5 days.
Make extra and save them for your
Saturday, September 22, 2012
10 C apples - cored, peeled & sliced
1 C sugar
1/2 c water
1C quick cooking oats
1C all purpose flour
1C brown sugar
1/4t baking soda
1/4tsp baking powder
1/2 c butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350*
2. Placed sliced apples in a bowl. Combine sugar, flour & cinnamon & mix well. Pour over apple slices and stir until the apples are coated. Place apples in a 9x13 baking dish. Pour water evenly over the apples.
3. Combine oats, flour, brown sugar, baking soda & baking powder in a bowl. Add in melted butter and stir until combined. Crumble evenly over the apple mixture.
4. Bake for 45 minutes.